Working form home can have benefits but also offer some genuine challenges. But are you or your business actually ready to work from home?
We’ve got some work from home tips to get you ready.
‘Employees are are feeling very overwhelmed by the current situation and worry about the future. And why wouldn’t you be? Small businesses are struggling to stay alive with fears that unemployment could soar as high as 20% in coming weeks.’Employees are are feeling very overwhelmed by the current situation and worry about the future. And why wouldn’t you be? Small businesses are struggling to stay alive with fears that unemployment could soar as high as 20% in coming weeks.
Additionally, most employees are not used to working from home and adjusting to a new routine. Together these can cause stress.
What are the rules? What are some of the expectations as an employee, and by an employer? What are the best work from home tips?
Here’s a few common questions to help you navigate working from home and what you should know.
What are the biggest challenges faced by employees working from home?
Emerging mental health problems and managers capacity and experience to deal with them
- 80% of mental health issues at work due to work or a combination of work and other
- 43% of employees not comfortable discussing issues
- 34% of managers find it difficult to identify issues
- 30% of managers don’t know what to do
What about health and safety?
The health and safety of employees must also be assured when they are working are outside of the office.
- Employers have an obligation to make sure an Employee’s home office environment is safe
- Work with your staff to ensure they have an area at home where they can complete their work safely and if possible, provide support such as a Laptop, PC as well as furniture to support a safe working environment
What do businesses need to do?
In addition to having strong policies and procedures in place, you should:
- Role model behaviours for employees
- Practice self-care
- Monitor employee anxiety and stress
How do I keep my employee happy and productive?
- Ensure Employees are doing meaningful work
- Ensure the outcomes produced by employees are valued more than the ways in which they are achieved – trust your employee to do the right thing
- Align their work to their strengths and ensure they have the resources they need to succeed
- Set them goals with measures and milestones to ensure they keep on track and remain focused
- Establish a regular 1 on 1 check in process with employees to monitor progress of goals and to provide support when needed
- Establish virtual team meetings to keep groups in contact with each other and to share team progress information
- Regular virtual team building activities to keep your team engaged
What policy and procedures should I have in place?
Now is a good time to review and update your Workplace Health and Safety policy. Additionally, it’s imperative you create or obtain a Working from Home Policy and WHS checklist. These items will ensure your employees are happy, healthy and productive while making sure you are upholding your legal obligations as an employer.
30 Work From Home Tips
1. Create a Dedicated Workspace: Designate a specific area in your home for work, minimizing distractions and allowing you to focus.
2. Set a Schedule: Stick to a regular work schedule to maintain consistency and structure in your day.
3. Dress for Success: Get dressed as if you were going to the office; it can help put you in the right mindset.
4. Plan Your Day: Start each day with a to-do list, prioritizing tasks and setting goals.
5. Take Regular Breaks: Schedule short breaks to stretch, relax, and recharge your mind.
6. Eliminate Distractions: Turn off non-essential notifications and create boundaries with family or roommates.
7. Use Task Management Tools: Tools like Trello or Asana can help you stay organized and on top of your tasks.
8. Communication is Key: Maintain open and clear communication with your team, using platforms like Slack or Zoom.
9. Invest in Ergonomics: A comfortable chair and proper desk setup can significantly improve your work-from-home experience.
10. Prioritize Self-Care: Make time for exercise, healthy meals, and adequate sleep to boost your overall well-being.
11. Set Daily Goals: Establish daily goals to maintain motivation and a sense of accomplishment.
12. Limit Social Media: Avoid getting caught in the social media rabbit hole during work hours.
13. Use Time Management Techniques: Explore techniques like the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time efficiently.
14. Learn to Say No: Don’t overcommit yourself; it’s essential to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
15. Virtual Meetings Etiquette: Dress appropriately and be punctual for virtual meetings to maintain professionalism.
16. Stay Connected: Socialize with colleagues through virtual happy hours or coffee breaks to combat isolation.
17. Get Fresh Air: Take short walks or spend time in your garden to get some fresh air and sunlight.
18. Embrace Technology: Utilize productivity apps and tools that can automate repetitive tasks.
19. Mindful Mindset: Practice mindfulness meditation to reduce stress and increase focus.
20. Invest in Reliable Technology: Ensure you have a stable internet connection and necessary equipment.
21. Separate Work and Personal Devices: Avoid using personal devices for work to maintain a clear boundary.
22. Declutter Your Workspace: Keep your workspace clean and clutter-free for a more productive environment.
23. Create a Routine: Establish a morning routine to kickstart your day with purpose.
24. Learn New Skills: Use your newfound flexibility to invest in personal and professional development.
25. Stay Informed: Stay up-to-date with industry news and trends to remain competitive.
26. Take Advantage of Flexibility: Utilize your flexibility to accommodate personal responsibilities and interests.
27. Reach Out for Support: Don’t hesitate to seek help or advice from mentors, colleagues, or support groups.
28. Stay Positive: Maintain a positive attitude and remind yourself of the benefits of remote work.
29. Celebrate Achievements: Acknowledge and celebrate your accomplishments, no matter how small.
30. Reevaluate Regularly: Periodically assess your work-from-home setup and make adjustments as needed to optimize your productivity and work-life balance.
Working from home offers many advantages, but it also requires discipline and the implementation of effective strategies. By following these 30 work from home tips, you can maximize your productivity, maintain a healthy work-life balance, and make the most out of your remote work experience. Whether you’re new to remote work or a seasoned pro, these tips will help you thrive in your home office.